Aadhar Kendra Child Sponsorship Programme
In 1989, Deep Griha initiated the Aadhar Kendra Child Sponsorship Programme to address the specific needs of orphaned children, foster families and single parents in Pune.
While Deep Griha reaches out to many children in the community, we have identified a particularly vulnerable group: those children who have lost one or both parents are often forced to take on responsibilities within their families, cutting short their childhoods.
Although many orphaned children are taken in by extended families, the extra burden on family resources means that orphaned children are often required to work.
A child's basic needs can be met with a sponsorship sum Rs 10,000 per year and today, over 360 children and families benefit from the programme.
Sponsored children benefit greatly from your help, but it is vital that you are able to make an ongoing commitment to them. We therefore ask that you are able to maintain your support for a minimum of 5 years to provide continuity and security.
Methods of Support
- One balanced, nutrition-rich meal a day
- Educational materials, including books, stationery, school bags, uniforms
- Clothes and shoes
- Professional counselling services
- Medical care - regular check-ups, and treatment when required
- Extra tuition to support school work
- Fees for any additional educational courses in which the child wishes to enrol
- Extra-curricular activities - group outings including plays, picnics and educational trips
- Family assistance for unexpected events (e.g. family illness, damage to the home)
- Recreational and fun events, such as a birthday party and games days
Deep Griha encourages an interactive relationship between sponsor and child.
- Exchange of letters. This is a good way for both the sponsor and the child to learn about each other and keep in touch. Letters are translated if needed.
- Sponsors receive an annual academic progress report, as well as an end-of-year update on the child's general development and well being.
- Sponsors can meet their children when convenient for both.
The Aadhar Kendra programme wants to provide its children with the best possible start in life. In an increasingly globalised world, an English-medium education is becoming vital for children to be able to progress.
Deep Griha therefore asks the sponsors to consider supporting their sponsored child through a private, English-medium education. School fees are approximately Rs. 5000 per year. This cost is not covered by basic sponsorship, but is a voluntary additional contribution made by individual sponsors.
If you are interested in sponsoring a child, or wish to renew your sponsorship, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.