Friends of Deep Griha UK and Friends of Deep Griha USA were set up by individuals in these countries to enable continued to support of the projects, programmes and activities of Deep Griha Society (DGS). These are individuals who have visited or supported Deep Griha’s work in the past and are determined to see the great work of DGS continue.
Many of those involved have spent time working or volunteering with DGS in Pune or have visited and understand the importance and breadth of work of DGS. This ensures a strong connection between the Friends of groups and DGS which continues to grow stronger.
Friends of Deep Griha UK and USA aim to be more than just organisations that raise and send funds to DGS. They also raise awareness of the work DGS does and often support specific projects. They achieve this by increasing awareness of the work of DGS, raising money through fundraising activities in their home communities and keep those who are involved up to date with news from DGS. If you are interested in getting involved in the UK or USA, you can find out more about how to below.
Deep Griha Society, USA > Link
Deep Griha Society USA is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization supporting the goals and activities of Deep Griha Society in Pune, India. Deep Griha provides education, health care, and support programs to give people in slum communities the skills and confidence they need to improve their lives.
Deep Griha USA, a non-profit organization in Columbus, Ohio, USA, was formed by several members of First Community Church in Columbus. The purposes of the organization are to:
- Raise funds for Deep Griha in the USA
- Report to USA donors on the cost effectiveness, sustainability and transparency of Deep Griha as observed on visits to Pune by our representatives, and
- Respond to Deep Griha requests for assistance
Deep Griha USA was formed in 2007 and within 1 year, the organization helped raise capital funds (over $140,000) to help Deep Griha build the Vidyanagari pre-primary and primary schools outside Pune. The organization continues to raise Aadhar Kendra Child Sponsorships and operating funds for Deep Griha.
While Deep Griha USA is a young organization, its members are typically older persons who have known Neela and Bhaskar Onawale personally. The organization’s volunteers have assisted First Community Church efforts to support Deep Griha over many years.
Challenges to Deep Griha USA include expanding volunteer participation by younger persons in the USA organization, and creating better public awareness of Deep Griha among the USA public.
Deep Griha USA has assisted one church, Dublin Community Church in Dublin, Ohio to adopt Deep Griha as an international project. Deep Griha USA will continue to investigate 3 potential methods of expanding public awareness and funding of Deep Griha:
- How to encourage other churches and organizations to become supporters of Deep Griha
- How the internet can be utilized to expand financial support for Deep Griha
- How to expose young people to Deep Griha, despite the high cost of travel from USA to India.
Deep Griha USA solicits suggestions from other supporters of Deep Griha about each of these areas. Or, if Deep Griha USA can assist your efforts, write to us at:
Deep Griha USA c/o Barbara & Sandy Wood
3074 Glenrich Parkway,
Tel: (614) 486-0827(614) 486-0827
Friends of Deep Griha, UK
Friends of Deep Griha UK
Friends of Deep Griha UK (UK Registered Charity no. 1110485)was set up in 2004 and is run by six trustees. The Executive Committee is currently chaired by Susannah Hodge (a previous DGS volunteer). If you are based in the UK and are a number of ways you can get involved and find out more about Friends of Deep Griha UK
- Follow their Facebook page
- Email them (email@example.com) if you have any questions, are interested in getting involved with activities and events across the UK or just want to find out more
- Become a member – Their membership form includes all the information you need to know. Individual membership fees are £10 a year or £25 for three years.
Here are a few ways you can make a donation:
- donate using Givey
- Sending a cheque (payable to Friends of Deep Griha UK) to: Hon Treasurer, Friends of Deep Griha UK, 38 Maple Crescent, Penketh, Warrington WA5 2LG. Please clearly state the purpose of your donation.
- Setting up a direct debit (Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in doing this).
Additionally if you have any questions, would be interested in volunteering with Friends of Deep Griha UK or participating in planned events in the UK, please let us know. We look forward to hearing from you!