City of Child
In 2000, Deep Griha set up 'City of Child', a residential project located in the village of Kasurdi, 45km away from Pune.
The project targets the most vulnerable children from the Aadhar Kendra scheme identified by our fieldworkers. They are provided with a safe home, where they can study, play and develop away from the particularly difficult circumstances they faced in the slums.
The children are all either orphans or come from single-parent families, unable to provide sufficient care for them. Often, extended families have to foster the children, which puts pressure on already tight resources.
Residents at City of Child benefit from:
- Safe and secure accommodation
- Three balanced meals per day
- Enrolment at local schools
- Help with homework from staff and volunteers
- School materials
- Medical care
- Recreation facilities -- playground, games and cricket field
- Guidance, support and counselling